30 December 2006

The Baking of the Bread

Ok, over the past 3 days I have made 3 different bread recipes. First I made one called Angel Bread. Apparently I miscopied the recipe because it listed no water. So, I ended up added a few TBSP of water. Dave loved the flavor, but said it was a big crumbly. So, I need to see if I can find where I got the recipe from. Normally I keep the source, but apparently not for this one.

The second loaf was called Crusty Cuban Bread. I loved this one. The only problem I had was I used the light crust setting, so it looked a little pasty. LOL It is a great chewy type bread.


The third loaf was Honey Wheat Bread. It was.... well, it was wheat bread. It's pretty dense and I'm not sure how the family will like it. I think it will make great toast, not sure how it will do for the sandwiches though. I guess we will find out at lunch time. LOL.


Right now I have another batch of the Crusty Cuban Bread going in the breadmaker. I'm thinking this just might be our family staple. Of course, it depends on what the rest of the family decides.

So, I am going to post the recipes I used. I found these on line. If I made changes, I noted them.
***********************************************************************************
*Angel Bread *

Ingredients
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. melted cocnut oil
2 tbsp. sugar
2 c. bread flour
1 -1 1/2 tsp. yeast

Instructions: Put ingredients in order suggested by your bread machine manufacturer. Use light crust setting.


(the coconut oil is essential because it gives the texture as if you used shortening. Shortening is very bad for you. You can substitute melted butter, but the texture won't be quite as soft and fluffy)

My Notes:
I must have missed an ingredient when I copied and pasted this recipe. I added 6 TBSP of water to this as well. Just enough to make the dough form a ball. I think I might add more water next time I try this.

***********************************************************************************
* Crusty Cuban Bread-medium loaf *

Ingredients
1 1/4 c Water
1 1/2 ts Sugar
1 t Salt
3 c Bread flour
2 ts Yeast

Instructions: Bake according to your machine's directions using French or Basic cycle. This is a low rising bread due to the lack of oil and small amount of sugar. Keep an eye on the dough and add a tablespoon or so of water if the dough looks dry or if the machine sounds like it's struggling.
The Bread Machine Cookbook by Donna Rathmell
***********************************************************************************

* Honey Wheat Bread *

2 lb loaf
Ingredients
1 -1/2 cups warm tap water
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Instructions:Measure the ingredients into the bread pan in the order listed. Make a well in the flour and sprinkle the yeast into it. Set the machine to it's Whole Wheat Cycle. On my machine this lasts for 3 hours and 40 minutes. Press Start, and let the machine work it's magic. Remove the cooked bread from the pan after baking and allow it to cool before slicing. Makes a 2 lb loaf.

Notes from original poster:
This is my kids favorite whole wheat bread. The honey makes it very sweet, and soft. This bread lasts longer than some machine made breads before going stale. The honey acts as a natural preservative.

No comments: